In 1952, by the hands of José Fonseca and Waldemar Heleno, there came into existence Heleno & Fonseca, at the time a small building firm, but with a great ideal in mind: To contribute to the constructions of a new Brazil, whith was just then trying out its first steps towards modernization of its productive structure.
Heleno & Fonseca greatly helped the development of the country, performing works in many different segments - buildings, special structures, earth-moving and paving, sanitations, specialzed projects and other activities.
Outstanding projects were the MASP building, the headquarters of the CPFL and SABESP, the Immigrants Highway Viaduct, the Glicério Overpass, the Washington Luiz Viaduct, the Ulisses Guimarães Bridge (the access to the Bandeirantes Highway), the Anhanguera Highway, BR-153 and PR-435 Highways, the Viracopos, Congonhas and São Luiz do Maranhão Airports, the first portion of the subway in Brazil (North-South Line, between Praça da Árvore and Santa Cruz Station).
In the last few years, Heleno & Fonseca has had outstanding activity in works of sanitation and on the environment, such as the ABC Sewage Treatment Station, witch is a part of the Tietê river de-pollution project; the Águas Claras Dam and the channeling and tunnel of the Juqueri river in the Mairiporã region, eight thousand meters long. The most outstanding project in the ecological sector is the Bandeirantes Sanitary Backfill, the largest of its kind in all Latin America, in which 50 per cent of all the waste produced in São Paulo are processed, the equivalent to seven thousand tons a day.